Reports to: Chief Financial Officer
Salary Range: $1,448 to $1,653 per 35 hour week + superannuation
At Warrumbungle Shire Council we offer a broad variety of jobs with a range of benefits and career development opportunities within Local Government. Our scenic location, amongst friendly country communities, provides an ideal setting for those looking to balance a country lifestyle and career.
The guiding principles of honesty, integrity, fairness and compassion form the spirit of the team along with respect, transparency, passion, trust and opportunity is how Warrumbungle Shire Council strengthens its working environment to deliver on the aspirations of our community. We are an EEO Employer with a commitment to our staff and our vision is Excellence in Local Government.
Purpose of the Position
The Accountant provides financial accounting support to the Chief Financial Officer and contributes to the strategic direction in the finance area of Council. The position also assists with Council’s financial reporting and accounting; assists managers and other staff in Council with grant funded projects, including applications, claims and acquittals as required; assists with internal audits, tax returns, reconciliations, general ledger and job cost structure and coding, inter-fund transfers, and reporting for all Council business units.
- Commitment to Council’s Mission, Values and Code of Conduct.
- Understanding of work health and safety (WHS) in the workplace and commitment to a positive contribution to WHS in the workplace and compliance with Council and legislative requirements.
- Degree in Accounting
- Sound working knowledge of:
- Accounting Standards
- Local Government Code of Accounting Practice and Financial Reporting
- Experience in budgets and forecasting
- Experience in preparation of financial statements in a specified format
- Experience in cash flow management and supervision of an investment portfolio
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Proven ability to deal effectively with a range of people
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Class C NSW Drivers Licence
- Strong working knowledge of the Local Government Act 1993 and Regulations, particularly as they apply to financial reporting and statutory accounting obligations
- A working knowledge of integrated ledger systems such as Practical, Authority or Finance One
- Experience in the use of report writers (example such as SQL Query functions)
Applicants should note that Criminal History Checks, as well as alcohol and drug testing, are conditions of employment.
Applications close at 11.00 pm Sunday 19 April 2020.
For enquiries, please contact Organisation Development on 6849 2000.
How to apply
- Scroll down and complete the fields below. Note: Fields marked with a red asterisk* are mandatory.
- Click ‘Next’
- Attach your resume, covering letter and copies of your qualifications
- Click ‘Next’
- Review your application and click ‘Confirm’ to submit your completed application
You will receive an email acknowledgement to confirm receipt of your application. You will receive email notifications regarding the status of your application. It is important that you regularly check your email to ensure you do not miss any notifications from Council.